Friday, July 23, 2010

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This was recommended by someone in my book club, so I reserved it. After I started it, people started giving me mixed reviews; some thought it was strange or that the story was just too bizarre, but others absolutely loved it. This isn't something I typically experience...usually everyone loves/hates a book, either way it's unanimous. Unanimous for/against or I'm reading something no one else has heard of, but never have I had so many people give such a variety of reviews.

Well, I liked the book. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, but liked it. I like the way it was written, but I think it was much too long and drawn out. I like the main characters, but there were definitely some bizarre elements. I like the illustration of Mississippi during the civil rights movement, but felt like the real message took a back seat to the frivolous details. I like the narrators, but didn't care for most of the secondary characters.

Would I recommend this book? Probably. It's good enough to kill some time, but not a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment