Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Comfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl

I have been seriously slacking on this blog! Ruth Reichl is an author I have enjoyed for a while, and this book is no exception. Though it took me a while to get throught the entire memoir, I'm glad I stuck to it. Comfort Me With Apples is a continuation from Reichl's previous memoir, Tender At The Bone and follows her progression from chef to restaurant critic.

A lot of this book focused a lot on the personal side of Reichl's life rather than her work. I was a little disappointed by how much was about her affairs, and prefer the style of Garlic and Saffires which is almost completely about her adventures in food. I did however like the details of her travels to Europe and China, but again would have liked more focus on her experiences outside the bedroom while she was in Paris. In all, I would say this is my least favorite of Reichl's books thus far, but definitely an important piece of the memoir series.

Would I recommend this book? Only if you've already read her others and are looking to fill in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment