Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Iliad by Homer

My best friend here LOVES mythology and the trojan war, especially movies related to the topic. I have always been completely confused every time we've tried to watch one of these movies...and annoyed him with questions about who each person is and why they're fighting. So, I decided to read this book, thinking it would help clear up some of my confusion...man was I wrong!

Apparently there is a reason people read this book when they are in high school and have a teacher to explain everything/everyone to them! Not that I didn't like the book, but I think it left me even more confused. There are a LOT of people involved, and their lineage and manner of death are graphically detailed...great if you're a teen boy, but not so much when you're a 30-something female. I made at least 30 calls to my friend asking who someone was or if it was important for me to try to remember some specific detail (if you're wondering, no, not once was it important).

Yes, I understand that this is an epic poem and that it's a classic, but I guess it's just not my thing. If it weren't 650+ pages of family trees and detailed accounts of each person's death I MIGHT have been more into it, but as it is, most of the story was lost in the details.

Would I recommend this book? Probably only if you have someone to help you through it...this might be the reason cliff notes were developed!

No comments:

Post a Comment