Friday, May 14, 2010

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

Anne Tyler is a recent discovery for me...which means that I read one book and then proceeded to check out everything she's done that I could get my hands on. This was my second book of hers, and it didn't exactly live up to my expectations. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the book, it just didn't knock my socks off, so to speak.

Liam, a possibly-retired school teacher is in a transitional phase of his life when he wakes up to find himself in the hospital. He learns that he was severely injured by a would-be burgler, none of which he can remember. This memory loss leads Liam into a relationship with a married woman who is employed as "a rememberer" for a successful, elderly, businessman. Throughout the journey, Liam comes to terms with his memories and develops his relationships with his three daughters.

Would I recommend this book? Probably not, I've read a lot of books that engaged me more and this wasn't a real "stay up all night to finish" page-turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment