Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

This was selected for my book club, and I'll admit I wasn't super excited about reading ANOTHER book from the Nazi era, but this one surprised me!

The story is set in France and ties together the events of July 1942, when the French police rounded up French Jews in Paris before sending them to concentration camps, and those surrounding the memorial of the round up 60 years later. The two main characters are Sarah, a 10 year old who was part of the round up and Julia, a journalist reporting on the memorial who discovers a family secret that connects her to Sarah.

Until reading this book, I was unaware of the events that took place in France, or the extent to which the French police and government were involved in the internment of Jews. I liked the style in which this book was written; the dual perspective added some credibility to the novel and helped to draw the reader into the story.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, it's one of the better stories based on this era.

No comments:

Post a Comment