Friday, February 5, 2010

Not Becoming My Mother by Ruth Reichl

It's no secret that I love Ruth Reichl, so I was excited to read this book. I actually checked it out a few months ago, but had to return it to the library before I could finish, so it went back on my request list IMMEDIATELY.

The book, unlike you'd assume based on the title, is a tribute to Reichl's mother, Mim. It's a relatively short book, but the story is a good reminder to all of us to not judge others based on appearances. Mim was a very educated woman, but because of societal norms, she became a housewife--a job she was not well-suited for! The book illustrates the struggles women in Mim's generation faced and how their situations led them to push their daughters to become more, to follow their dreams, and to NOT become their mothers.

I appreciate short books that can perfectly tell the full story without feeling the need to add "filler" to meet some absurd word count. Thank you, Ruth Reichl, for this wonderful tribute to the generation that faught so hard for our many freedoms, I'm glad you finally got around to writing it and I loved every page!

Would I recommend this book? Yes, in fact, it's in the running to be my pick for book club!

No comments:

Post a Comment