Monday, February 1, 2010

Saffron Dreams by Shaila Abdullah

This book was on the "must read" list of an author I like. I'm still deciding which book I'll choose for my Rochester book club in April, and as I checked this out from the library, I thought it might be a contendor.

This story follows a Muslim writer and artist, Arissa, who, after losing her husband in the World Trade Center collapse on 9/11, discovers his unfinished manuscript. In her mind, the manuscript and her unborn son fuse into a single project that helps her reconnect with life. As she struggles to survive emotionally and redeem her race, Arissa discovers that our identities are always evolving based on the events and places we experience.

I found two of things I like in this book--it was easy to read and the story flowed well. I liked the perspective of the writer as a Muslim victim of attack and appreciated the view into how she was treated following her husband's death simply because of her religion. I still haven't decided for sure if this will be my pick, but it's a definite possibility.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, it's a quick, easy read AND gives you something to think about...what more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment