Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor

I checked this book out and TRIED to read it 4 times, each time I barely made it 20 pages before losing interest. When I noticed it in the audio book section, I decided to give it another try. While it didn't put me to sleep, I still didn't think it was anything spectacular. In general, I prefer audio books that are read by the authors rather than actors, it adds some authenticity and engages me more, but even that had little effect with this book.

I have read, and loved, all of Sue Monk Kidd's previous books, but this one just didn't do it for me. I can't pinpoint anything specific that I didn't like, it could be that it's autobiographical and their story isn't very dramatic or unique? I get that they were exploring the dynamics of their relationship and they each felt like they were struggling with something, but the struggles they had seem pretty commonplace and simple compared to what most people are facing.

The mother (Sue Monk Kidd) is struggling with turning 50 and defining her career as a writer. Big deal, be happy you made it to 50, have a wonderful, loving family and the luxury of being able to start on a new path at your age! The visits to Europe are supposed to showcase the mother/daughter relationship and how it's been a constant throughout history, but honestly all it did for me was validate how self-centered and whiny the two are.

The daughter (Ann Kidd Taylor) is in a state of depression and trying to determine which direction she wants her life to take, but what recent college grad hasn't felt the same way?? She is "drawing strength" from the Virgin Mary, Joan of Arc and the goddess Athena throughout their journeys. Again, be thankful for what you have and quit feeling sorry for yourself!

The ONLY thing I enjoyed about this book was the illustration of some of the sites they visited. The whole book was too introspective for my liking and focused WAY too much on how they were all feeling and how terrible it is to be them--wah, wah, wah!

Would I recommend this book? Nope. And I'll take this as a lesson...if it takes 5 times to successfully complete a book, there's probably not a good reason to keep trying :(

No comments:

Post a Comment