Sunday, June 20, 2010

Heart of The Matter by Emily Giffin

Emily Giffin has a gift for making readers connect with and even love the type of characters we normally wouldn't like much--the woman who sleeps with her best friend's fiancee, the one who doesn't want children and divorces her husband when he decides he wants to be a father, and in this case, the single mother who falls in love with and has an affair with her son's married doctor.

I have liked each of Giffin's books, and enjoyed the style of this one. Told from two perspectives, we see both sides of this story. The doctor's wife, Tess, is the main narrator and speaks in first person...the boy's mother, Valerie's story is told in third person. I like the dual narration and Giffin's ability to invoke sympathy for characters most authors portray simply as evil, conniving bitches.

Would I recommend this book? Of course. Emily Giffin maintains her position on my list of favorite authors...I suspect one of the secondary characters in this book will be the star of her next novel and am anxious to see if I'm right!

No comments:

Post a Comment