Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mennonite In A Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

This was part of a package I received from my friend Sherrie who knows me as well as anyone in the world when it comes to books. It was HILARIOUS! Rhoda Janzen's memoir is everything I like in a book--honest, funny, engaging, educational--and I could NOT put it down!!! Janzen grew up in the Mennonite community, and returned after a series of life-changing events.

The author literally made me laugh out loud (which can be embarrassing when you're in the waiting room at the Dr's office with 20 other people) multiple times with witty tales of her family, friends, relationships and the Mennonite community. I especially liked her mother, Mary, who is of "good Mennonite stock" with an eternally positive outlook and a love of frugality and home making. I loved her spirit and wisdom.

I really enjoyed the information on the history of the Mennonite religion and the changes that Janzen has witnessed in her, and her parents', lifetimes; it was very diferent from the way I grew up. The Mennonite position on peace and caring for community as well as their overall passion for helping the less fortunate all over the world is admirable.

My favorite quote in the book is from Mary Janzen,"When you're young, faith is often a matter of rules. What you should do and shouldn't do, that kind of thing. But as you get older, you realize that faith is really a matter of relationship--with God, with the people around you, with the members of your community." I think that sums it all up...focus on the relationships, not the rules!

Would I recommend this book? Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment