Friday, June 4, 2010

The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman

I haven't loved all of Alice Hoffman's books, but I did really enjoy this one. I should disclose that I am a HUGE fan of Chaos Theory (the idea that every action, no matter how small, has consequences and incites change...without change, an organism/organization/culture will die/fail/become extinct). This author had a very interesting way of incorporating this theory into the novel...she also wrote of wishes, fairy tales, death and meteorology.

At it's core, this book is about love in the many forms it can take, and the bonds that secrets and shared experiences can create. The author writes that true love ruins you, and opens your heart to possibility...this is just one statement that illustrates the narrator's complete metamorphosis from a hermit-like librarian to the person she becomes after being struck by lightning. It took a while for it to develop and in the beginning I just wanted the narrator to stop whining and get on with her life, but I loved all the symbolism in this book, all of the complexities of the characters.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, but it definitely takes some patience in the beginning. Seriously, how could I not recommend a novel that references Chaos Theory??

No comments:

Post a Comment