Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

When you read a Nicholas Sparks book, you know what you're getting...a love story with some twist. I haven't read one of his books for several years because I was starting to feel like they were all the same and decided I could find better material to spend time reading. BUT, my book club back home chose this for January I decided it was time to hive it another try.

The book focuses on the relationship of John and Savanna, from their first meeting to their final goodbye. Though much of it was predictable, as are most of Sparks' novels, I found myself really enjoying this one. The two meet while he is home on leave and continue their relationship long-distance for a few years until it becomes too much to manage after John re-enlists after 9/11.

I think what I liked most about this book wasn't the simple plot with it's predictable turns, but the smaller details that Sparks brought in--especially the awareness that he will inevitably raise for both Habitat For Humanity and Autism/Aspergers Syndrome. Having spent many summers volunteering for Habitat, I was pleased to see that Sparks obviously did his research and accurately portrayed the organization. Over the years, I've encountered multiple people who deal with autism/aspergers on a daily basis--including the children of some of my close friends--and know how difficult it can be. I appreciate the manner in which Sparks portrayed both Allan and John's father and demonstrated the full spectrum of behaviors associated with autism/aspergers. I sincerely hope the incorporation of these groups into this story will encourage people to donate either their time or money to further their causes.

Would I recommend this book? Yes. If you like Nicholas Sparks, you won't be disappointed, if you haven't read one of his books before, this is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment