Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough

Because I've been so busy and spent my free time on books I wanted to read, I'm a little behind on some of my book club reading. This book was discussed in December, but I just now finished it. This is a book I would never have selected on my own, but I really enjoyed it...in fact, I am planning to buy a copy for my Dad's birthday gift (don't tell!).

The book follows the life of Theodore Roosevelt, starting early in his childhood and ending prior to his presidency. I've never been a big history buff or anything, but I found this account truly engaging. The story flows very well, showing various sides of all members of the Roosevelt family. It's striking how our language changes over time; I can't imagine anyone saying some of the things Teedy said/wrote to his siblings and mother! I really learned a lot about how he became the man we knew as President and about the Roosevelts as a whole, the entire book captivated me. As a bonus, parts of the book are set in North Dakota so I learned a great deal about the history of the state in which I now reside as well.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, especially if you like history.

No comments:

Post a Comment