Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Washington Square by Henry James

This is one that my book club at the library picked, and I would NEVER have selected for myself. I TRIED to read this book multiple times and couldn't make it more than a few pages before giving up, so this time I got the audio version. Though listening made it easier to get through, I still didn't love this book.

The story is written in 3rd person, with the narrator's comments frequently made directly to the reader. Originally published in in 1880, the language is quite dated. The book tells the tale of brilliant, controlling doctor and his sole heir, a plain but sweet daughter. I did not like how the daughter (Catherine) was portrayed nor how she was treated throughout the book by everyone around her. James makes Catherine out to be a dim-witted, weak girl, but in my opinion, the only "weaknesses" she demonstrated was compassion.

Likely because this was set so long ago, it was hard to relate to the characters or their situations since we (women) now have unlimited choices and can do what we choose with our lives. Though I despised the love interest of Catherine, I don't think she handled her relationships well and let others have too much power over her decisions. In an attempt to keep those around her happy, Catherine sacrifices her own desires and ultimately ends up disappointing everyone, including herself.

Would I recommend this book? Only if you love the genre--think Jane Austen--which I, obviously, do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment